Exeter by the Barons of Okehampton on these
conditions. When the bishop is installed the
baron shall act as his steward, or servitor, in
return for which all the vessels in which the bishop
is served at the first course shall become the
property of the steward.
At the installation of
Bishop Stapleton, however, in the year 1308 this
right was claimed by Hugh Courtenay, as lord of
the manor of Slapton. His fee on this occasion
included " four silver dishes, two salts, one cup,
one wine-pot, one spoon, and two basins." Two
places, named respectively Merton and Potheridge,
were formerly connected in various ways, and
this connection comes out in a curious manner.
It appears that the Rector of Merton was formerly
entitled to a dinner every Sunday, and the keep
of his grey mare out of the barton of Potheridge.
The historians, whom we follow in these matters,
inform us that the rector was eventually con-
strained to accept a commutation of £3 per annum
in lieu thereof. If the quit was a favourable one
to the priest he must have had very humble fare
on Sunday, and his mare not less humble during